The 1200 MW plant at Jaigarh, Ratnagiri was launched in July 2007. The plant comprises four units of 300MW each and runs on imported coal. For operational efficiency, it blends coal from different sources that help boost cost effectiveness. The plant was commissioned within a record time when the first unit went on-stream in 2010 and the entire plant was fully commissioned in 2011.
The plant sells power to Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company and to the plants of JSW Steel Ltd. & its subsidiary based in Dolvi and Kalmeshwar. The power generated is transmitted through the Jaigad PowerTransco Ltd, a JSW Energy joint venture company that operates an intra-state transmission system.
Given the ecologically fragile nature of the Konkan region, the plant has adopted several green technologies that help reduce emissions and waste
- Uses low ash, low sulphur grades of imported coal
- Fly ash produced is captured and sold to local cement manufacturers
- Flue gas de-sulphurisation system has been installed
- Dry bottom ash handling system
- Closed loop cooling towers
- Continuous environment monitoring in and around plant