About South West Port
Incorporated in 1997, South West Port marks a major milestone in the history of JSW Infrastructure as it is the company’s first port operation. South West Port provides vital logistic support to the JSW Steel plant at Vijayanagar, Karnataka.
A mechanized terminal facility in Goa on the west coast of India, it was established primarily to handle the logistic needs of the JSW Steel plant at Toranagallu, Karnataka. With the expansion of the steel plant requiring larger movements of cargo, setting up its own terminal became a strategic cost-cutting and efficiency measure for the JSW Group.
Because of its convenient location, South West Port proves itself a cost effective port for the efficient handling of coal and ore imports and finished steel exports. It currently operates two dedicated bulk cargo berths at Mormugoa Port Trust at Goa, on a Build, Own, Operate and Transfer (BOOT) licence agreement.
The terminal handles over a hundred vessels every year and transacts nearly 6.5 million tonnes of cargo. The total capacity is 7.5 million tonnes and the company plans to expand the facility soon.
- Closest port to the steel industry cluster of Bellary-Hospet in Karnataka
- Rail head within the terminal area making transportation by rail easier
- Located within a major port with all related advantages
- Fully mechanised cargo handling systems
- Mechanised wagon loading system connected by closed conveying system
- Air pollution monitoring systems
- Lower dust pollution because of dust suppression systems, closed transport wagons and sprinkler arrangements
Located close to the city of Vasco Da Gama in Goa, South West Port started operations in 2004. South West Port was set up as an SPV to facilitate the development, designing engineering, financing, constructing, equipping, owning, operating and maintaining two dedicated bulk cargo berths at Mormugoa Port Trust on a Build, Own, Operate and Transfer (BOOT) in Mormugao, Goa.
The BOOT agreement was originally awarded to the ABG Group but taken over by the JSW Group in 2002, at a time when Mormugao Port Trust was struggling to develop the facilities. The licence from the Mormugoa Port Trust is for a 30-year period.