Cargo Handling Infrastructure
It recently replaced the existing Mobile Harbor Cranes with higher capacity cranes as the existing cranes had already completed more than 23,000 hours of operations. The new cranes have better efficiencies and can discharge 40,000 TPD coal.
The Company is also in discussion with Mormugao Port Trust for the installation of in-motion wagon loading systems with ancillary facilities like Conveyers and Silos.
It is planning to increase the capacity of the conveyor system by 20 percent.
Plans to invest in additional mechanical equipment for handling heavier steel coils are also underway.
Connectivity at the Port is likely to improve soon, with the Government of Goa planning and contemplating to double the Vasco-Londa line.
South West Port is conveniently located as it is connected to two National Highways — NH 17 and NH 4A; NH4A connects to the Mumbai-Bengaluru NH 14.
The Government of Goa is considering upgrading the Vasco-Londa state highway.
South West Port also has the unique advantage of a railway connection right at its terminals, with the Southwest Railway rail head entering the harbour to touch the terminal. This makes transportation of goods by rail easy.South West Port is the closest harbour to the industrial belt of northern and central Karnataka, particularly the steel industry cluster of Bellary, Hospet, which houses many steel and cement plants.
The nearest airport is the Goa International Airport, which is 8.4 kms from Mormugao Harbour.
The Zuari and Mandovi rivers provide inland waterway transport facilities, connecting the Mormugao Harbour — and the South West Port — with mines and manufacturing plants in the hinterland.
• Berth 1 for coal handling using 2x2000 TPH ship grab uploaders including covered back-up conveying systems.
• Berth 2 for other bulk, break-bulk cargo using 2 mobile harbor cranes 2x1200 TPH.
• Berth 6A (343 meters) was recently commissioned and will initially berth mini bulk carriers 3x8000 DWT simultaneously for transshipment and can also accommodate Handymax vessels.
• A container yard to accommodate 1500 TEU (twenty foot equivalent unit) with 72 reefer plugins.
• Back-up conveying, storage and dispatch system.
• 40000 kL tank farm to handle molasses and edible oil.
• 105x450 meter covered coal storage that can accommodate around 300,000 metric tons of cargo.
• Adequate covered warehouses that can store
more than 120,000 metric tons of fertilizers and agro commodities at any given point of time.