During the operation of industrial sites and processes, there is the potential for noise from machinery and vehicles, odors, smoke, fumes, dust, light etc. to be generated. In some instances, these parameters can have a negative impact on neighbors. Such environmental issues, especially if it is not quickly resolved, can result in a strained relationship between the parties/stakeholders involved and can, in some instances, result in legal proceedings. Whilst JSW has always sought to minimize all forms of environmental issues in its direct impact zone and have always worked within all relevant regulatory frameworks, JSW recognizes it’s moral and social duty to prevent the lives of local households and businesses from being adversely affected by production activities.
SDG Mapping of JSW Steel’s Initiatives & Projects
SDG 9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- JSW aims to work towards preventing of any local considerations creation by adopting the following strategy
- Identification – Understanding of potential source of local considerations at each site, encompassing noise, transport, fumes, dust, smoke, light through assessment and stakeholder engagement.
- Prevention - Elimination/minimization of identified local considerations by undertaking changes to infrastructure, work practices and equipment, exploring and adopting innovative technologies and solutions, educating employees about the causes and impacts of other issues
- Feedback – Development of mechanism for stakeholders to raise complaints and issues
- Monitor – Monitoring the number of instances of local considerations to understand our red flags and work towards resolving them
- JSW has taken several initiatives to introduce process changes that reduce emissions and strengthen the function of Dust Extraction systems.
- 13 new dedusting systems have been commissioned to reduce 150 dust sources/transfer point emissions at Vijayanagar plant.
- Pipe conveyor phase 1 has been commissioned for iron ore. This has reduced truck movements significantly and a reduction of 3.86 kg CO2/t of ore transport is expected.
- Rotating sprinklers are installed at 10mt basemix internal roads, thereby reducing road emissions.
- Procured new road sweeping machine for road cleaning purpose to control the fugitive emissions generation.
- Reduced dust generation due to truck movement inside the plant by installation of Tyre washing unit.
- Installation of Dry Fog system in Blast Furnace and wagon tippler reduced the fugitive dust emission which leads to improvement in ambient air quality.
- In Dolvi, dust emissions during the material handling have reduced after the replacement and modification of the ducts of Dust Extraction (DE) System in Sinter Plant Proportionating House.
- Installation of separate DE system for battery emission to reduce fugitive emission and established trash chutes with collection boxes for accumulating spillage and scrap.
- Established pneumatic dust conveying and auto bagging for cyclone dust collection to reduce the dust emission during loading and handling
- JSW tries to address and mitigate other sources of Local considerations by small yet effective efforts,
- In order to reduce energy consumption, JSW has installed LED bulbs which are more energy efficient
- All JSW Steel operations are Zero Liquid Discharge, i.e. no liquid waste is discharged outside the premises of the manufacturing unit. All the effluent generated is treated and recycled back into the system. It has an added advantage of reduction of fresh water consumption
- JSW manages its inbound and outbound logistics to minimize impact on local population. The company tries to utilize rail or ships to for transportation instead of road in order to reduce the negative environmental effects related to road transport. In FY19 about 83% of the cargo was transported via ship/rail
- Plantation and development of green cover in and around the manufacturing units is another route which has been used by JSW to minimize environmental issues arising due to the operations.
- JSW Steel has adopted and implemented all the Best Available Technologies for reduction of noise, fumes, dust, smoke & light
JSW discloses the sustainability related information in its integrated/sustainability reports which can be found here.