Incorporated in 1997, South West Port marks a major milestone in the history of JSW Infrastructure as it is the company’s first port operation. South West Port provides vital logistic support to the JSW Steel plant at Vijayanagar, Karnataka.
A mechanized terminal facility in Goa on the west coast of India, it was established primarily to handle the logistic needs of the JSW Steel plant at Toranagallu, Karnataka. With the expansion of the steel plant requiring larger movements of cargo, setting up its own terminal became a strategic cost-cutting and efficiency measure for the JSW Group.
Because of its convenient location, it currently operates two dedicated bulk cargo berths (5A & 6A) at Mormugoa Port Trust at Goa, on a Build, Own, Operate and Transfer (BOOT) licence agreement.
The current capacity of 10 MTPA is being increased to 14 MTPA this year. The terminal has handled around 70 MMT and 19,000 rakes since its inception.
- Closest port to the steel industry cluster of Bellary-Hospet in Karnataka
- 450 m long berth
- 3 Mobile harbor cranes
- Two ship unloaders that are currently being installed with a terminal thruput capacity of 72,000 TPD for handling iron ore and 58,000 TPD for handling coal
- Mechanised in motion wagon loading system connected by closed conveying system
- Rail head within the terminal area making transportation by rail easier
- Located within a major port with all related advantages
- Fully mechanised cargo handling systems
- Air pollution monitoring systems
- Lower dust pollution because of dust suppression systems, closed transport rail wagons and sprinkler arrangements
- Online tarpulin covering system
Located close to the city of Vasco Da Gama in Goa, South West Port Limited (SWPL) started operations in 2004 to provide vital logistic support to the JSW Steel Plant at Vijayanagar, Karnataka.
SWPL operates two dedicated bulk cargo berths (5A & 6A) at Mormugoa Port Trust on a Build, Own, Operate and Transfer (BOOT) basis under 30 years license period.