We at JSW believe that energy saved is energy produced and thus we aim to conserve resources and energy by adopting the best available practices of the industry. As the exhaustion of fossil fuels, which supply three-quarters of this energy, is not far off, JSW is striving towards optimizing the energy required for its operations and also building infrastructure to produce green electricity as a part of its energy portfolio. Through this, we also aim to contribute to UNDP’s Sustainable Development Goals.
SDG Mapping of JSW Steel’s Initiatives & Projects
SDG 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
- JSW Steel has implemented ISO 50001 across all its manufacturing locations, to promote energy management best practices.
- Sustainable management and efficient use of energy is achieved at JSW through targets linked to specific energy consumption (SEC) targets set in PAT cycles
- JSW Steel adopted state-of-the-art Energy Management Centre equipped with a supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) system
- Vijaynagar Works took the following initiatives for energy conservation in FY19,
- Capital expenditure of INR 59.00 crores was incurred on energy conservation projects, resulting in a reduction of 0.008 Gcal/tcs and a financial savings of INR 105.85 crores on annualized basis
- Successfully reduced the solid fuel rate and increased the pulverized coal input to 200 kg/thm of blast furnace in the year 2018-19
- FY19 saw an increase in LD gas recovery to 98.7 Nm3/TIs
- Reduction in oxygen venting by 36%
- Dolvi Works undertook the following initiatives for energy conservation in FY19,
- Capital expenditure of INR 53.26 crores was incurred on energy conservation projects, resulting in a reduction of 0.043 Gcal/tcs and a financial savings of INR 69.63 crores on annualized basis
- Revamping of CPP turbine, identification & arresting of leakages resulting in reduction of gaseous heat rate from 2641 Kcal/nm3 in FY 2017-18 to 2400 Kcal/kwh.
- Interconnection of HP & LP steam network through PRDS system to provide steam from Sinter-2 waste heat recovery boiler to Coke oven resulting in steam production @20 TPH.
- Salem Works undertook the following initiatives for energy conservation in FY19,
- Capital expenditure of INR 53.01 crores was incurred on energy conservation projects, resulting in a reduction of 0.06 Gcal/tcs and a financial savings of INR 26.7 crores on annualized basis
- Reduced fuel rate in BF-1 by increasing hot blast temperature after installation of High-Temperature Hot Blast Stoves.
- Energy saved by installation of motor with drive in Hydraulic system in EOF2 resulted in power saving of 20,000 KWH/ month in FY 2018-19.
- Installation of VVVF drive in BLM Furnace blowers, Descalar and Internal circulating water pump house motors resulted in power savings of 2,211,538 KWh
- Power savings at Sinter Plant #2 through Waste gas ID fan impeller replacement with increased bed height operation resulted in power savings of 1,037,434 KWh
- Solid fuel savings at Sinter Plant #2 through installation of three row burner with increased bed height operation resulted in fuel savings of 519 MT in FY 2018-19.
- Installation of VFD in Blast furnace#2 cooling tower fans (8 No’s) resulted in savings of 298,084 KWh
SDG 9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- JSW has continuously invested in upgradation of infrastructure and retrofitting of existing plants to increase resource-use efficiency. Some of the latest technological enhancements include,
- Heat recovery from waste gases - JSW Vijaynagar commissioned 150 TPH Boiler for power augmentation along with 45.13 TPH of steam generation through a sinter cooler waste heat recovery boiler. These boilers are zero coal-fired boilers, 100% byproduct gas firing for process steam generation.
- At Dolvi, revamping of CPP turbine, identification and arresting of leakages resulted in the reduction of gaseous heat rate from 2641 Kcal/nm3 in FY 2017-18 to 2400 Kcal/ nm3. Fuel conversion of HSM Boiler & BF Cast house from NG to COG leading to NG saving of 672 KSm3.
- JSW aims at greater adoption of clean and environmentally sound technologies and industrial processes to attain energy security. JSW commissioned various such technologies like,
- Installation of BF gas holder – The aim of this project is to reduce the BF gas flare with 80,000 nm3/hour savings in turn of 67.63 Kg-CO2e/tonne of Crude Steel
- Coke Dry Quenching (CDQ) – JSW Steel is opting for CDQ in all its upcoming projects along with upgradation of existing units. Dry quenching of the coke instead of wet quenching can be used to recover sensible heat that would otherwise be lost from the coke while reducing dust. The steam recovery rate with this equipment is about 0.55 GJ/tonne coke. It is also known that dry quenching reduces the amount of coke consumption in the blast furnace thus providing an added benefit of resource conservation.
- Utilization of waste gas for power generation– JSW Steel utilizes 96% of its waste gases. Salem Works recorded its highest ever power generation in 2018-19 at 36.51 MW.
- Implementation of online air fuel ratio logic at CPP of Dolvi Works resulted in a reduction in CPP gaseous heat rate by 10.6%.
- Optimisation of Air Fuel ratio in BF Hot Blast stoves through digitalisation initiative has reduced the BF gas consumption, which resulted in savings of 6741 Gcals in FY 2018-19.
SDG7: Affordable and clean energy
- JSW Steel targets to increase the share of renewable energy consumption for steel making processes in the coming years.
- In Vijayanagar 13.3% of the total power consumption requirement of the blast furnace is fulfilled by the non-conventional power source of Top recovery turbine which generates about 18.3 MW. Also with 30% Increase in by-product gas supply YoY to power plants resulted in a coal saving of 21TPH in FY19.
- Dolvi Works initiated the usage of Coke Oven Gas in place of Natural Gas (NG) in FY 2018-19 at Direct Reduced Iron (DRI), Tunnel Furnace, Bar Mill, and SMS ladle pre-heater. Fuel conversion of HSM Boiler and BF Cast house from NG to COG lead to NG saving of 672 KSm3.
Energy Consumption Trend of JSW Steel
Through various energy conservation efforts, the specific energy consumption of JSW Steel has improved by 5.18% in FY19 compared to FY18
JSW Steel regularly discloses its sustainability performance and initiatives in its integrated report. These reports are available here