At JSW, we are driven by better everyday and to achieve this we will have to continuously strive to make our workplace better and safer.
JSW Group is committed to providing a healthy and safe working environment for the employees, contractors, business associates and visitors on premises and community where impacted by our operations. We aim to be compliant with all applicable health and safety legal requirements and the world-class Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) management systems are being implemented and maintained across the group.
Everyone at JSW has a responsibility for helping to create a healthy and safe working environment. All employees & contractors are expected to take ownership of their safety and are encouraged and empowered to report any concerns.
Our Leadership team have overall responsibility for ensuring that the correct policies, procedures and safeguards are put into practice. This includes making sure that everyone in the group has access to appropriate information, instruction, training and supervision.
Safe Operation is the most critical to our success. JSW Group is committed to the effective delivery and continual improvement of its Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) management system across all our sites globally and shall ensure that:
- Each of our site develops a culture where all its people and stakeholders take responsibility for the health and safety of themselves and others
- Appropriate resources shall be provided to meet our health and safety commitments
- JSW’s leadership, HODs, line management, employees are responsible for ensuring they proactively identify, manage and eliminate hazards and reduce risks in the workplace
- All OHS risks shall be assessed, managed, recorded, monitored and reported
- Appropriate information, instruction, training and supervision shall be provided to employees and contractors
- Employees & contractors shall raise safety issues and concerns through their line-managers/supervisors/HODs
- OHS performance goals shall be set and met periodically to promote continuous improvement
- Each of our site shall provide an effective OHS management system that drives continual review and improvement, in-line with ISO 45001
Putting commitment into practice
We delivered a range of programs to help us understand and manage effectively the OHS risks we face and improve the sites in which we operate:
JSW has improved its systems and processes to measure, monitor, manage & continually improve OHS performance including hazard identification and risk mitigation. We have also updated our suite of management information dashboards to continually improve awareness & management of OHS risks including:
- Harmonized OHS Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) across all our sites globally
- 20+ Site-level KPIs including Leading & Lagging Indicators being tracked by our leadership
- A formal Group-level, Business-level and Site-level Annual H&S Priorities and targets
- Site-level Safety KRAs with weightages in Variable Pay Performance factor with annual target of a minimum 20% reduction in lost time injury frequency rate (LTIFR)
- Individual Safety KRAs for employees with incentives for enhanced safety performances
We have developed and implemented an improved health and safety training and awareness programme for all our workforce, ensuring roles and responsibilities were clear and understood.
- Leveraging technology, 5 new E-learnings on High-Risk Standards were introduced
- Customized Modules on Working at Height, Lock-out Tag-out (LOTO), Confined Space, Permit to Work, Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs)
- Training Modules include Safe Work practices and explains why they are so important for preventing serious injuries in our workplace
- 15,000+ training units completed in the first quarter of its launch
- Site-level OHS Training & Competency matrix post detailed needs assessment
JSW expects all levels of management and employees to not only anticipate hazards, but also to address them and stop employees if they deem a work environment or task to be unsafe
Safety Observation (SO) program is a great way of engaging the workforce. Guarantor is in the process of further strengthening the impact of SO Process by focusing efforts where they matter, expanding the conversation, and making SOs more personal and positive for our workforce. Its mandatory for the leadership team to conduct mandatory shop floor walkthrough & identify unsafe acts & conditions
JSW is committed to work closely with the contractors to build a Safety culture at the frontline, aiming to improve safety performance
Revamped Contractor Safety Management program is being implemented across our Sites to provide quality assurance, evaluate contractor performance at defined intervals to provide feedback, lessons learned and a basis for improving Health & Safety performance and future contractor selection
The program is also designed with the process of capturing contractors’ non-conformances and delivering systemic corrective actions based on identifying the root cause and having a closed loop feedback process
All JSW employees, business associates & contractors are required to comply with the recently launched "10 JSW Critical Safety Rules". These rules cover the most critical safety practices to achieve a notable reduction in injuries & illness. This is a real opportunity for discussion, identifying points for improvement and communication about safety behaviors with our workforce
We have been undertaking extensive research on digitalization and OHS including scenario-based foresight study on new and emerging OHS challenges, leveraging technology and its potential impact on OHS improvements. JSW’s digitalization & OHS practices with monitoring technologies and algorithms, aims to oversee the plant premises & worker behaviors using Artificial Intelligence (AI) to the extent that in the future they could be managed by intelligent machines. The technology, being piloted, aims to detect & alert the Safety performance like Vehicle Safety, PPE Compliance, COVID-19 preventive measures including usage of masks & social distancing etc., in phased manner and linked to the consequence management for positive reinforcement